Thursday, September 25, 2014

House Happenings

I know a lot of you wanted a home tour, in light of our ceiling crashing thru the house is not totally up to par to be photographed yet.  I thought I would share a few new things in and around our house in the mean time.

While we were patching the ceiling hole in our den we decided to add some recess lights.  We live in an old ranch house and our den and dining room had no overhead lights.  Totally random, right?  The hole in the ceiling was a good excuse to put in some lights and it made such a big difference.   We also had them installed in our kitchen as well.   The brightness makes the room feel so much bigger!


While he was doing the lighting work we had him go ahead and wire the dining room so we can hang a chandelier.  Problem is I can't make a decision what I want.  This is why home decorating is so hard to me, I can't commit!  These are a few I like at West Elm but they are a bit more than I want to spend.  The last one is the least expensive.  I want something edgy and modern.  Thoughts on a favorite?


Our rug for the screen porch finally arrived thanks to GDC Home.  I went with a Dash and Albert Rug and really like it.  I didn't want a rug to cover the whole floor because I like the slate tiles I just wanted a small one the kids could play on if they wanted.  I bought a fan that was too big so now I have to return it (blonde moment measure first before you buy)  but we are slowly making progress.   Next is hang a fan, some white twinkling lights around the top and a glass door.


Here is another view, this was an old mirror that broke that I set out to go to the trash.  The lighting is actually perfect for outfit pictures though!  The space is small but it is the perfect little play area for the kids.  Sterling loves to sit out here and build blocks and legos.



I scored big at TJMaxx recently.  I found this awesome silver bulls head for Sterling's room.
$29!!  Such a steal.We are going to hang it this weekend.


I also found these green moss balls.  I had been looking for something to put in the bowl in my bar area and these were perfect for $7.


I have really been loving our new bedroom lamps.  I found them at Celadon Home on clearance but Lulu & Georgia carries the exact same ones.  They also come in a bunch of different colors.



The cabinet in our kitchen took a back seat to the lighting but it will be done next including some built ins around our fridge.  I figure if I may be in this house for a few more years I need a few updates, I just have to budget!
and because I love Nate Berkus and he is the master of interior design.






25 comments:

caycee said...

Girl I can not get over how much that light changed your living room!! It looks amazing!!! And I love the second light, just go for it.....you'll be disappointed if you don't get what you want!!

xoxo

Amanda | Kids and Cabernet said...

Love your house so far, and I agree about recessed lighting - it really makes such a difference!cant wait to see the rest of the house :)

Kristen [Playground Prepster] said...

The living room looks great!! I love the last light - it looks awesome in person too. West elm does lighting sales so often maybe you can score a deal. I have two of their lights in boxes in my garage from the last sale (it is more expensive to hang them than it was to purchase them!). I love the new rug! I've been looking for something similar!

Unknown said...

i love those white lamps! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Amy Florez {Baby Mama Juice} said...

Love chandelier #2!!!! Your house is looking great! Yay for recessed lighting!

Lindsay, XO Lindsay said...

Yay! Love home pictures! Your living room looks great. You have lots of gooood rugs!!

www.XOLindsay.blogspot.com

Val said...

Love your style - you living room looks fantastic.

Christina said...

I like the first or second. The bubble one is really neat but a little too modern I think.

Leslie said...

Love that quote! You have such a gorgeous home. Adore the new canned lights!

All Dressed Up In Love said...

Thanks for sharing pics of your house! Looks great! You know what I love most ? That its not perfect ! Because honestly with two kids whose house is?? part of the fun is making it your own little by little. Love the second chandalier xox

Unknown said...

Chandelier choices 1 and 2...please not three.. Always need a slight traditional element to a piece so you won't get sick of it....awesome post today!!!!!

Katie said...

Random, but would you ever be interested in sharing how to put together and style a bar cart? We're moving into our first house next month and a bar cart is on top of my wish list-- yours always looks so cute!

Nickie said...

Wow, your house looks great! I vote for chandy #1 but any of them would be wonderful.

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Your living room rug is amazing! I think my vote goes for the first chandelier, though they are all stunning.

JRA said...

I LOVE the first chandelier, in fact, I might have to steal that idea!

Unknown said...

The first chandelier is my favorite, the bubble one is fun too though.. Love the rug! Great colors.

Blair M. said...

loving the recessed lights, and I really like chandelier #1 & #2! And can we have a moment for how awesome your bedside dresser is? In love!!!

Pink and Green Mom said...

Everything looks great. I def need some mossy balls. :P

melinda said...

Check out the Plaza Chandelier from School House Electric. I think it fits better with the rest of your décor,more modern tradional !! The brass is timeless.

melinda said...

Sorry I meant traditional !

Krystine @ www.KrystineEdwards.com said...

It looks like a completely different home!!! Love it! Yes to the second west elm chandelier - I think the etsy Sputnik is too harsh for your dining space! Everything looks great so excited for you!

Alicia xoxxo said...

The recessed lighting looks great! I love the first chandelier. Classic with a little bit of edge. Go for it!

Unknown said...

Love the chandelier in the middle pic!

Megan
Beau Vie Blog

Unknown said...

I am in the midst of a few home projects...I have been working on a roman shade for my kitchen forever. Can't commit on a fabric myself! So hard, when it's so permanent! I like the first chandelier best :)

Naomi Walters said...

What a wonderful quote! I've always said the same to myself. A person's abode should be a reflection of his soul. That's probably I want mine as clean and as beautiful as I can manage. Hahaha! Anyway, if your house just reflects your beauty inside and out, then it really looks gorgeous. The small touches of decors are really you. You're so lucky to have found them. I hope you find a chandelier that would best fit your collective personality, as a family, though my heart is rooting for the first one. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing all the pictures! All the best!

Naomi Walters @ Chicora