Tuesday, September 16, 2014

White Chicken Enchilada Casserole


A few weeks ago my friend Sarah hosted Supper Club and served this casserole.  I loved it so much I knew I had to make it immediately. She said she found the recipe on pinterest- what did we do before pinterest?  I quickly looked it up and saw it was from Gimmie Some Oven- a great cooking site, they always have really good recipes.  The cream sauce in this casserole is so good and I love the addition of white beans.  You can make this casserole the day before if you need it.  It was awesome the first night we cooked it but the second night it was a bit soggier so keep that in mind, still good just a touch soggy.  I added jalapenos to the cream sauce to add a bite. I always use a rotisserie chicken to save time. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce and dig in!  This is really awesome Mexican Casserole!


|| W H I T E   C H I C K E N   E N C H I L A D A   C A S S E R O L E ||

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped jalapenos ( I added this ) 
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream 
  • 24 soft flour tortillas, halved
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans White Northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
  • 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
  • ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Method

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray, and set aside.
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add flour, and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add half of the chicken stock, and whisk until combined. Then add the remaining chicken stock, green chiles, and cumin, and whisk until combined.
Let the mixture continue heating until it reaches a simmer and thickens slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and whisk until combined. Remove from heat and set aside.

To assemble the enchiladas, place 8 tortilla halves in the prepared baking pan so that they cover the bottom of the pan. Spread about 1/3 of the cream sauce evenly on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle half of the chicken on evenly on top of the sauce, followed by half of the beans, and 1 cup shredded cheese. Repeat with a second layer of tortillas, cream sauce, chicken, beans and cheese. Then add a final layer of just tortillas, cream sauce and cheese.

Cover the casserole with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese is melted and begins to brown around the edges and the casserole is cooked through.
Remove pan, and sprinkle with avocado and fresh cilantro. Serve warm.

.................................................................
and I have to mention the cute dishtowel underneath my casserole.  I bought two of them at Open Door Shop and just adore them!
They come in a gray and eggplant color as well.  They also make cute bathroom towels!

You can shop all linens HERE








12 comments:

Jillian said...

yummm i love mexican food and this dish looks amazing! xo jillian - stop by! I'm hosting a $150 Tieks gift card giveaway on cornflake dreams

caycee said...

That casserole was so darn good!!

Amy Florez {Baby Mama Juice} said...

Yum! Homemade Mexican is the bomb!

Krystine @ www.KrystineEdwards.com said...

I just posted one this am that I found on pinterest! I cannot wait to try yours too!

iopcatg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay, XO Lindsay said...

Look delish!! I just made a white chicken lasagna (similar). I could definitely put this one in my repertoire as well.

Portuguese Prepster said...

sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

Yummy.... Clare V Bags

Lucy said...

I made this about a month ago- so good! Thanks for reminding me to make it again!

Emily Satzger said...

You always make the most delicious recipes! I can't wait to try this one, I love any type of Mexican food, thanks for the recipe!

Emily from F Is For Blog

Jana said...

So pretty with the avocados on top!

Katherine Delman said...

Hi! Have you ever made this ahead and put it in the freezer? Wondering if it gets soggy! Thanks