Friday, August 2, 2013

Non-Maternity Maternity Style

I am officially six months into my pregnancy and besides my JBrand Maternity shorts (shop HERE), I have bought no maternity clothes.  This time around I vowed to buy no unnecessary maternity clothes.  There are so many options now for regular clothes that will fit us preggos.  I have nothing against maternity clothes, but they are expensive and I have a hard time justifying spending that on something I will wear less than a year.  Why not buy regular clothes that you can wear before and after the baby? 

The picture above is from last week, I am actually 24 weeks this week (yay)!  I wanted to show it because it is my standard pregnancy outfit.  A loose blouse + Jean Shorts.  I live in that outfit, switching up the tops but always my jean shorts!

 Matt used to always joke before I got pregnant that I dressed like a pregnant woman.  Truth is I love loose blouses, shift dresses, maxi dresses,  and tunics, that is just my style and it has served me well this pregnancy because most of my clothes still fit.  My go to brands that are great for pregnancy and after are Joie, Rebecca Taylor, Vince, DVF,  and Tibi.  They are timeless brands that yes, are bit a expensive but last forever and always look chic.  

I will say you probably do need to buy maternity bottoms.  You can't really get away with regular bottoms with a huge belly!  JBrand is my favorite.  I have these jeans from when I was pregnant with Sterling and then bought the cut-off shorts this time.   I love this JBrand Color for Fall and these White jeans for Summer.   You don't need many bottoms just wear the same ones.  I honestly wear my same jean shorts everyday.  I tried the Old Navy ones and no comparison the JBrand ones are so much better.  They fit better and are just more comfortable!  Better to buy one pair of nice shorts than 5 pairs of shorts you don't really love.  Leggings are also a good idea.  Otherwise you can just rock your maternity bottoms with cute loose blouses or wear loose maxi dresses.  I do also love a fitted dress as well- show off that bump!

I rounded up a few of my favorite non-maternity pieces that you can easily rock while pregnant and then still still wear them post baby!  Just scroll thru to view them all!
(I own the Rag and Bone Dress, JBrand JeansVince Top, and Vince Dress- recommend them all!)

17 comments:

Baby Shopaholic said...

I love your maternity style! I only purchased a few maternity tops when I was preg and still where them now.

Ashley @ The Houston House said...

I have tried not to buy much maternity wear, too. I'm about two weeks behind you (22 weeks now!). I hated the thought of buying such a temporary wardrobe!

Kristen [Playground Prepster] said...

I hated maternity wear when preggo (and ruined some my favorite nonmaternity jeans from stuffing myself into them too long). You have some great finds - and the whole high low hemline trend is totally going to work for you :).

Jordin- I Love That! said...

I totally agree with you about maternity clothes. They are a rip off and there are so many non maternity choices (especially in the summer) out there. I only wish I would have read this before I bought a whole lot of Old Navy maternity jeans. I HATE them! They are more expensive than reg. ON jeans and look cheaper! I need to start buying better quality pieces, just less of them. Thanks for the advice!

Leslie said...

You have such amazing style, and it's been fun to see how your style has stayed true to you during pregnancy! You make it look easy!

E Hayes said...

yep, I have the same mat style too... I wear jean shorts every day and loose tank or top. I hate buying mat clothes and only bought a few pieces last time and hoping they'll get me through (all basics). We'll see what happens when the weather cools!

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Looking gorgeous! I also bought mainly bottoms when I was about 22 weeks, and about 4 tees later on ;)

Ally Harding said...

I've said it before but I love your maternity style! You may not have bought a lot of "maternity" clothes but the ones you do have feel free to pass them over to me for when I get pregnant! :)

Jane {In The Pink & Green} said...

I love all of the pieces you shared, you have the best style lady! Have a great weekend! xoxo

natasha {schue love} said...

You have the most impeccable maternity style...naturally! Love all your finds and will be referencing these posts again in the future for numero 2!!

Jenny Castle Design said...

You are the cutest! Love your maternity style (and style in general) and you look fabulous!

Unknown said...

Love all your picks! I was so hoping we would be pregnant at the same time, but you were just a little bit behind me ( I have a one month old now). I would have loved to see all your maternity style recommendations.

Anonymous said...

I spent a fortune on maternity clothes and really regret it. I have a job were I have to dress business casual so I couldn't get away with leggings and shorts - unfortunately! Next time around, I won't be buying anything unless I absolutely have to.

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

You have the absolute best maternity style. I can't wait to revisit these style posts whenever I get pregnant with my second.

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...

You have the absolute best maternity style. I can't wait to revisit these style posts whenever I get pregnant with my second.

Jess at Just Rainbows and Butterflies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Norma said...

I love your style. I constantly wear my Maternity Shorts. They are so comfortable and they were so much less expensive at Burligton. I ended up buying three pairs. Luckily, they help keep me cool and comfortable.