Wednesday, August 7, 2013

SImple Baked Lasagna


I know, I know there are a million lasagna recipes out there and trust me I have tried many of them. But this one is different, it tasted how lasagna should taste- amazing and fresh.  This is hands down my favorite lasagna I have made. 

 This recipe came highly recommended from my sister who received quite a few lasagnas after her son was born, and this was her and her husband's favorite.   I made it the same day she sent me the recipe. What I like about it is it is relatively easy to make.   You use no bake noodles and you only have to make one sauce, the other layer is sour cream (or creme fraiche).  You do have to chop up a few veggies and cook meat but once the sauce is made and simmering you are good to go.
  
The recipe seems long but once you read it, I promise it is not bad to assemble.  You could easily make two lasagnas out of this recipe in square dishes if you needed to take food to someone or make it in one large dish if you are entertaining.  I promise this will become your new favorite lasagna!
Plus how gorgeous does it look with the tomatoes and basil scattered over the top?  The perfect lasagna I tell you!


:: S I M P L E  B A K E D  L A S A G N A ::
adapted from Jamie Oliver's The Food Revolution Cookbook
Serves 4-6

For the bolognese sauce:
- 2 slices of smoked bacon, preferably free-range or organic (I used the pre-cooked Hormel kind)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- olive oil
 - 2 heaping teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 pound of high quality ground beef or pork or mixture of two (I used only beef)
- 2 14 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- sea salt and pepper
- fresh basil
- 2 oz of parmesan cheese 

For the lasagne:
- 8 oz dried egg lasagne sheets (I used Barilla No Boil sheets)
- 2 cups of creme fraiche or thick sour cream (I used a 20 oz container of sour cream)
- 4 oz of parmesan cheese (I also added in some shredded mozzarella too)
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced ( I needed two small tomatoes)
- 4-6 basil leaves

To make the bolognese sauce:
Finely slice the bacon and chop up the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery into small dice.  Place a large casserole-type pan on medium to high heat and add 2 lugs of olive oil, bacon and dried oregano cook until bacon is lightly golden.
Add veggies to the pan and stir every 30 seconds for around 7 minutes or until softened and lightly colored. Stir in the ground meat and canned tomatoes. (I cooked the meat separately and drained it to rinse the grease off before adding to sauce)
Fill one of the tomato cans with water and add to pan (For future, might not need any added water if the tomatoes came with a lot of juice so add as needed)
Stir in a good pinch of salt and pepper. Pick the basil leaves off and put in fridge for later.  Finely chop the basil stalks and stir into pan.  Bring to boil.  Turn the heat down and simmer with lid on for 45 mins, stirring a couple times.  (I had to simmer with lid off because I added too much water)

To finish the sauce:
Preheat oven to 375. Remove the bolognese sauce from heat. Finely grate 2 oz of parmesan into the sauce.
Tear and stir in any larger basil leaves, keeping smaller ones aside for top.  Taste sauce and add more salt and pepper if needed.

To make the lasagne:
Grate 4 oz of parmesan. If you don’t use No Boil sheets, boil some water in a pan, then add the lasagne sheets with a drizzle of olive oil and blanch (slightly soften) for 3-4 minutes.  Drain sheets and carefully pat dry with paper towel to absorb excess water.  Spoon a third of the bolognese sauce into the bottom of a overproof dish.
Follow with a layer of lasagne sheets.  Dollop a third of the creme fraiche or sour cream and smooth over the lasagne sheets.  Sprinkle one third of the parmesan cheese. (For future, I will use less cheese)
Add another layer of sauce and repeat with sheets and cheese, ending with creme fraiche and parmesan on top layer.
Top the creme and parmesan (added mozarella here) with sliced tomatoes and small basil leaves, drizzle with olive oil.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.  After that, remove the foil and bake for 35 more minutes until the lasagne is bubbling and golden. (Place on a baking sheet in case there is bubbling over)


24 comments:

Natalie said...

YUM. Looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

That looks fantastic!

Amy Florez {Baby Mama Juice} said...

Sounds delicious!!! Going on my Pinterest board ASAP!

Val said...

Please, excuse me as I wipe the drool off of my chin.

caycee said...

I want to eat this through the screen right now!!!

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

YUM!! This looks amazing

Taylor said...

Yum! This looks so great - I love lasagna

www.itsthelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com

(Eileen) a creative day said...

OMG YUM!

Melissa W. said...

So-have to tell you. I just received an email five min ago from takethemeal.com to sign up for a meal schedule for a friend in need. I immediately thought NATALIE! Headed over here to scour your "recipes" section, but bolognese lasagna today! How perfect, sweet Nat! Thanks!!!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

I'd eat that.

Christina said...

That is a pretty lasagna! I love your serving dish.

Anonymous said...

Italian. Cheesy. Easy. Sold.

Jane {In The Pink & Green} said...

Wow, this lasagna looks so pretty! I definitely want to try it, thanks for sharing! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Please read the reviews for the shoes you posted about yesterday before you spend the $$$$$

Mallory | Confetti and Stripes said...

Omg YUM! Definitely making this soon!

Pink and Fabulous said...

This sounds and looks delicious! I love lasagna but hate how much work it takes! This seems SO much easier!

Unknown said...

Get in my belly....love a good lasagna!! Always a crowd pleaser!

The Many Adventures of the Lill Kids said...

That looks delicious!!

natasha {schue love} said...

OH wow...this looks beyond delicious and perfect for a summer night! Yum!

Anonymous said...

This is perhaps the most beautiful lasagna ever! I am definitely pinning.

Portuguese Prepster said...

looks so delicious!

Day Old News said...

This is SO pretty! What a great presentation!

Day Old News said...

This is SO pretty! What a great presentation!

Meredith M said...

Made this last night! We call it "The Farmer's Market Lasagna" because I have NEVER tasted something so fresh. You're right...once you get that bolognese going, it's smooth sailing from there. And goodness does it smell divine while simmering. I'm tempted to try using a ricotta instead of the sour cream next time...

Delicious recipe. You never disappoint!